was first opened in 1947 by the Religious Hospitallers of St.
Joseph from Bathurst, N. B. It began with 10 patient
beds which were later increased to 17.
The new fire
resistant building opened in July 1954, with 45 beds,
Operating Room, Laboratory and X-Ray department. The kitchen,
laundry and Medical Clinic remained in the original building
at this time.
addition in 1959 provided space for medical records, morgue,
conference room and business office.
Another new wing in 1967
increased the bed capacity to 65 and provided a new laundry,
kitchen and staff cafeteria.
improvement came about in 1978 with the provision of a modern
outpatient department, Pastoral care room and Physiotherapy
In 1980 the
original building was demolished and in its place a new
stockroom was built. The Medical Clinic moved to a new
facility adjacent to the hospital.
1956, Hotel Dieu of St. Joseph was recognized by the Canadian
Council on Hospital Accreditation as a fully accredited
hospital. It has retained this status of accreditation since
administrator, Sister Corinne Kerr
Nurses, c 1948